The Institute Observes the Great American Smokeout
On November 21, the Institute’s Harlem, Walton, and Kingston health centers observed the Great American Smokeout. Institute staff talked with patients and community members about the benefits of a smoke-free lifestyle. Some patients tested out the “smokalyzer,” which measures the amount of carbon dioxide in a person’s breath. Less carbon dioxide = better health!
The benefits of going smoke-free include:
- A clean mouth: Your dental health will start to improve quickly when you go smoke-free.
- A smaller belly: Going smoke-free will reduce your belly fat and lower your risk of diabetes. If you already have diabetes, a smoke-free lifestyle can help you keep your blood sugar levels in check.
- A stronger immune system: When you’re smoke-free, your immune system is no longer exposed to tar and nicotine. It will become stronger and you will be less likely to get sick.
- Clear skin: Healthier skin is one of the benefits of going smoke-free that you’ll notice right away. You can clear up blemishes and protect your skin from premature aging and wrinkling.
- A healthy heart: Many heart risks can be reversed simply by going smoke-free. You can lower your blood pressure and heart rate almost immediately.
That said, going smoke-free is not easy for many people. If you are struggling with smoking cessation, there is counseling, medication and tips and techniques that can help. To learn more, contact your Institute provider or make an appointment at one of our health centers!